Reasons to visit Greece
The country of Greece has a long and rich history of culture and values. Not only is it the country that had first developed and fostered the Olympic games, but also from the very beginning it had philosophy, art, drama and science mixed into its very core. Even today these very elements thrive in the culture and values of the people of Greece, making them unique to the world. No wonder around 15 million tourists visit the beautiful island of Greece and discover Greece every year! The following list will give you a step-by-step guide on the different places of Greece so that you can plan your trip and enjoy all the beautiful splendours that Greece has to offer.
A great way to reduce stress, see different perspectives, gain clarity and refresh is to step away from your normal life and hop on a plane. A holiday is so good for you…and how wonderful a place is Greece. A holiday is also the perfect way to spend quality time with your family without the usual distractions of everyday life.
- Visit to Acropolis: if you are planning a holiday to Greece than a visit to Acropolis should be the first stop on your itinerary. It is the most famous and most recognized symbol of Greece. During the day you will be in a sense of awe as you watch the intricacy and majesty of the Parthenon, while at night you can watch the retelling of the Olympus legends through a light and sound presentation.
- Visit Ancient Agora: these are one of the most famous ruins of Greece. They lie in a valley just below the Acropolis. Around 2,500 years ago it was in this place where famous philosophers like Socrates and Plato taught and deliberated their philosophies to their disciples. On a low hill on the western side of the site lies the magnificent Temple of Hephaestos.
- Take a helicopter tour of Athens: if you want to do something unique on your trip to Greece then you can take a helicopter tour of Athens. This trip usually takes place during daylight hours and the entire tour takes only about 30 minutes. If you take his trip not only will you be able to see the beautiful skyline of Athens, but you will also be able to see the magnificent landmarks. Since you will be able to see these sites at a vantage point don’t forget to take your camera along with you.
- Catch a Hellenic National Football League game: football is treated as religion in Greece. You will definitely have a unique experience when you will see that the fans often become rowdy and do not hesitate to storm the field if they are displeased with the results at the end of the game.
- Run in the Athens marathon: the Athens marathon takes place around November each year. If you are planning to visit Greece during that time then do not forget to take part in the marathon. The Athens marathon usually follows the route taken by the original Olympic marathon.
- Volunteer for a cause: while you are in Greece you can do something different by volunteering for a cause. In Greece there are many organisations that are in need of different talents and skills. For instance, you can participate in teaching, working as a cleric in the offices of different organisations, social and medical work and carpentry and painting.
- Visit the National Archaeological Museum: while planning your holiday in Greece do not forget to include a visit to the National Archaeological Museum as it has the Schliemann’s Agamemnon in its collection. This historical artifact dates back to the 16th century and is so called because it is believed to be the king’s death mask.
- Go hiking down to the Vindos Gorge: the Vindos Gorge that is located in the northern part of Greece is famous because it has been recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records as the deepest gorge in the world. If you hike down to the bottom of the gorge then you will get to see many different kinds of animals and plants that are unique to the region.
- Hit the beaches of Crete: this has got to be my favourite- the beautiful white-washed houses, naturally sheltered beaches and the cool Mediterranean breeze that blows on the island will immediately bring you into the holiday mode and help relax you completely.
- Attend the Rockwave festival: the Rockwave festival is one of the most popular festivals in the world. This three-day festival is held in summer and often features different bands and artists performing on three different stages on the same venue. If you are in Greece during the Rockwave festival do not forget to visit it, as it will introduce you to all the latest trends in the musical entertainment scene.
Have you been to Greece? Do you find it a wonderful, awe inspiring place?
What is your favourite place to visit, or activity to do whilst you are there?
[…] 10 Exciting things to do in Greece | Wake Up It’s Monday […]
Comments are closed.